SE-ALL: THE SOFTWARE ENGINEERING FOR ALL LAB
SE-ALL, short for the Software Engineering for All Lab, concentrates on exploring the human aspects embedded within software engineering. This includes research areas such as software development practices, software project management, software testing, and the integration of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion within software engineering.
Human aspects play a crucial role in software engineering, serving as a cornerstone for the successful development of technology. Software is developed by people for people. Therefore, a comprehensive understanding of factors such as behaviors, cognitive skills, teamwork, and beyond is essential for crafting efficient software. Engineers must comprehend the diverse perspectives, motivations, and constraints of end-users that impact software functionality. Furthermore, teamwork, leadership, and adept communication and coordination within developer teams are essential for fostering innovation, overcoming challenges, and ensuring seamless project management.
Additionally, given the pervasive reliance of modern society on software technology across various spheres, such as work, education, politics, and leisure, it is essential for software engineering to create technologies that reflect the diversity of our society. This entails creating solutions that offer fair experiences to all individuals. Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) are essential in ensuring these fair experiences, providing equal opportunities (equity) while acknowledging personal, social, and cultural differences (diversity) and promoting active participation (inclusion). Recent research underscores that if software engineering fails to prioritize inclusivity, diversity, and equality across its facets—education, research, or industry—the risk of causing harm to individuals will be notably high.
At SE-ALL, we recognize the risks associated with overlooking the human aspects crucial in software engineering and value their significance. Hence, our efforts are dedicated to producing pertinent research and delivering the following:
- Theories, models, and practices that elucidate and integrate equity, diversity, and inclusion within various software engineering contexts.
- Policies and recommendations aimed at advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion within the software industry across different organizational levels.
- Techniques and strategies to ensure software fairness, with a focus on refining computational algorithms to prevent biased outputs that might discriminate against users.
- Analysis of how diversity impacts software products, encompassing algorithms, their effectiveness, performance, and overall quality.
- Practices and processes to enhance software project management and software development methodologies.
- Investigations into the relationship between software quality, software testing, and their role in creating inclusive software for our society.
Contact Dr. Ronnie de Souza Santos to discuss research and collaborations!
I have an open position for a Master's student to join the SE-ALL Lab at the University of Calgary! This fully funded opportunity (scholarship) will focus on developing research addressing fairness in software engineering.
While welcoming applicants from diverse backgrounds, I strongly encourage students from underrepresented groups in software engineering to apply. Join me in shaping a future where technology embodies fairness and inclusivity!
Email me your CV and a letter of intent discussing your interest in pursuing a Master's degree and developing research about software fairness.